Fax to Email service
The fax to email service works as follows: You get a personal 086 number that belongs to you exclusively. People send faxes to your 086 number. When the fax is received, it is re-packaged automatically and forwarded to your email account as an email attachment.
You do not need a fax machine, fax telephone line or any special software to receive faxes. You can even receive your faxes on your smartphone while on the road.
Fax to email is private, secure, hassle free and cost effective.
Fax to email features
- You project a professional image with your own personal 086 number
- Your fax number never changes - even if you move offices
- Your fax number is never busy - faxes get through the first time
- All faxes are forwarded to your email address as graphic attachments
No software or hardware required
- You can receive and read your faxes anywhere in the world: in an internet cafe, in a hotel room or at the beach
- International companies can have a local (South African) fax number
- There are no costs per fax - only a small monthly subscription fee
- Faxes remain confidential because it delivers to your email inbox - not on the fax machine where anyone can read it
- Excellent value for money at R 29.95 per monthly debit order (or free if you host your website with cozahost)
Frequently asked questions
Here are some of the most common questions and answers on the fax to email service:
Question: Why not use one of the free fax to email providers?
Because: You will publish your fax to email number on your website, business cards, letter heads, various marketing materials and contact lists. It will become a part of your business. You want to be SURE that:
- your provider will be around tomorrow and the day after,
- you have your 086 number as long as you need it,
- Your faxes stay 100% private and secure,
- You can depend on a reputable company that will not abuse your trust.
Question: Do I have to pay to receive faxes via email?
No, your monthly subscription fee covers all costs.
You can receive any amount of faxes at no extra charge.
No hidden costs, no additional charges.
Question: Is my fax number ever busy?
No, it is never busy.
Several people can send faxes to your 086 number at the same time and all of them will get through. You are quite safe when you get a massive response to your latest marketing campaign. :-)
Question: Can I receive and read my faxes while I am away from the office?
Yes, you can read your faxes from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection to your email. (You can be in London at an internet cafe and login to the web mail service and download your faxes.)
Question: I have a fax modem, why would I want this service?
1) Fax modems can be less than 100% reliable as your PC must always be switched on (with the necessary software running) to receive faxes.
2) Once the fax is delivered to your fax modem you have to be in your office to access it.
3) Your phone line may be busy (while you are on the phone or internet) and unable to receive faxes.
4) An answering machine or incoming calls may compete with incoming faxes.
5) If you run a dedicated fax line, it is costing you a monthly Telkom line rental and is far more expensive that using fax to email instead.
Question: Do I have to install any software on my PC to view the faxes?
No, faxes arrive as .pdf document file attachments in your email inbox. All version of Windows understand this format, or, if you prefer, you can download the excellent free graphics file viewer Irfanview.
Question: Can I receive faxes from any number?
Yes - from any South African telephone number.
Your personal 086 number is handled by a specialized exchange that cannot translate calls from international numbers to your local 086 number. This is true for any 086 number supplied by Telkom.
This limitation is not too bad since it is a far better idea to send email rather than transatlantic faxes. For this reason many international companies with a local presence in South Africa use a fax to email number so that their local clients pay local call charges to send them faxes.
Question: Does my fax number belong to me exclusively?
Once your 086 number is allocated it belongs to you and you alone.
Question: How many faxes can I receive?
You can receive any number of faxes.
If you run a marketing campaign for example, you can have hundreds of people send faxes to you. The only limit is the size of your email inbox.
Question: How long does it take to download a fax from my email inbox?
A typical fax page is about 15Kb in size and takes a couple of seconds to download.
Question: Does my faxes stay private?
Yes, no-one can see your faxes as it is delivered directly to your email inbox.
Your faxes stay 100% private.
Question: Can I distribute or forward faxes to other people?
Indeed you can. The fax arrives as a normal email so you can forward it to your admin staff or colleagues. You can even set up email inbox rules to automatically forward faxes to your assistant - or print them.
Question: Can I have my current Telkom fax line removed?
Yes you can - if you use it exclusively to receive faxes. (And save on the monthly line rental)
Question: I have more than one job - can I receive faxes while at another client?
Yes you can - you can receive faxes anywhere provided you can access your email. Private and confidential, so you will not be embarrassed by faxes from client A arriving while you are working at client B.
Question: How much does it cost?
The fax to email service is a bargain at R 29.95 per monthly debit order (ex vat) per fax to email telephone number, and there is no cost for receiving faxes. If you are hosting your web site with Cozahost, free fax to email is part of the package.
(Pricing information for sending faxes to an 086 number, please refer to Telkom)
If you have more questions, please contact us - we will be happy to assist.
Apply for fax to email
Please complete this form:
As soon as you submit this form, we will send you a confirmation message per email, with payment instructions and a debit order form. Please complete the debit order instruction in our email and send it back to us immediately.
Your new 086 number will be ready as for use within a few hours after we receive your return email.